Moving a Plastic SCM server instance to a new machine is not a complicated task, but you will need to migrate a couple of files from the old machine to the new one. I'll explain here all the aspects you need to take into account.
You will need to at least copy the following file from the old Plastic SCM server directory to the new one:
- plasticd.lic: The Plastic SCM license file, the new server can't start without it.
Then, below is a list of files that can be directly copied or, on the other hand, configured from scratch using the WebAdmin interface. Click the following links to learn more about the WebAdmin: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/administration/plastic-scm-version-control-administrator-guide.shtml#Chapter6:webadmin-Serverconfigurationandadministration
- users.conf: This users file is used by the Plastic SCM Server when it's configured to use the embedded User & Password authentication mode.
- groups.conf: This user groups file is as well used by the Plastic SCM Server when it's configured to use the embedded User & Password authentication mode.
- server.conf: The Plastic SCM server configuration file.
- remoting.conf: The Plastic SCM server network configuration.
- lock.conf: The exclusive checkout configuration file.
- cryptedservers.conf: The encrypted servers your server is working with.
- All the ".key" files referenced inside the 'cryptedservers.conf' file.
- webadmin.conf: It contains the webadmin root user password. Do not copy to reset the configuration.
- db.conf: This file keeps the db configuration details if you are using MySQL/SQLServer/SQLite for the database backend.
- jet.conf: This file keeps the Jet configuration details if you use Jet for the database backend.
To move the databases, you can choose to do it in a "Plastic" replication way or a "Database" way. Let me explain both options.
Plastic SCM replication
The Plastic SCM replication view will replicate all your repositories from one server to another. Click here for more information:
Moving the database Files
The second alternative is to manually move/copy the database from the old Plastic SCM server machine to the new one.
Moving the Jet databases is super easy; just copy the entire "jet" directory to the new machine and that's all. Just remember to use the WebAdmin interface to adjust the database path location, if needed.
Moving MySQL/SQLServer databases can be easily performed by your IT team. Again, remember to use the WebAdmin interface to adjust any SQL related parameter.